Livewire injures fresher, students block NH-16

Ranpur: Tension gripped Rajsunakhala College in Nayagarh district after a student came in contact with a livewire lying on the college premises Tuesday and was injured.

The injured, Suryakant Palai, belongs to Dihagaon, and is a student of Plus II (first year) Arts. He suffered burns when he tried to pick up the wire lying on the ground to enter the premises. The wire had been drawn from an 11-KV line for supplying power to the college.

Palai’s classmates and other students rescued him and pleaded with the college authorities to rush him to a hospital. However, tension gripped he college when the college authorities refused to pay attention to the students.

Finally, the students took him on a motorcycle to the Sunakhala Hospital. The incident angered the students, and they blamed it on the negligence of the college authorities. They also locked the college’s main gate at 10.30 am.

The students said the mishap occurred as the cable drawn from the 11-KV line was lying on the ground for months instead of being securely tied to a pole.

The students also blocked the Khurda-Bolangir NH-16 at Binodpada. The road blockade disrupted traffic leaving hundreds of vehicles stranded. Sunakhala outpost police rushed to the spot and pacified the students.

 

PNN

  • #electric wire
  • electrocution
  • live wire